CROESO - WELCOME
We are a small, friendly club in a pleasant setting overlooking Burry Port Marina in Carmarthenshire and the lovely North Gower coast. Access to the sea is via the Burry Inlet which opens into Carmarthen Bay on the south coast of Wales.
The club was formed in 1963 and, in 1970, it merged with the Burry Estuary Boating and Angling Club retaining the title of Burry Port Yacht Club. The club logo is a Welsh hat with crossed hatchets. The hatchets were the weapons used by the notorious "Gwyr y Bwelli Bach" (men of the little hatchets) who looted ships wrecked on the nearby Cefn Sidan sands in the 18th and 19th centuries in particular.
The present clubhouse, which was built almost entirely by the members was completed in 1977. It has a licensed bar and provides social and other facilities for the members. Club opening hours in the summer are 17.00 to 23.00 on weekdays, 12.00 to 23.00 on Saturday and 17.00 to 22.30 on Sunday. Winter hours are 19.00 to 23.00 on weekdays and 12.00 to 15.00 and 19.00 to 22.30 at weekends.There is a good sized boat park at the rear with some provision for boat repair and maintenance.
Contact is via the Club Secretary Andrew Phillips tel. 01554 832594 email Hon. Secretary
The marina is managed by Carmarthenshire County Council and there are about 200 berths available now (April 2008). For information contact the Marina Manager on 01554 835 691 or Duty Harbour Staff Mobile 07817 395 710
Burry Port Harbour, which was originally referred to as Pembrey New Harbour, was constructed between 1830 and 1832 to handle the great demand for coal for the Industrial Revolution. It was a replacement for Pembrey Old Harbour which, because of its size and constant silting problems, could not cope with the demand. It has seen many changes over the years culminating in the creation of a marina which was officially opened in 2004.
No increase in subs for 2016.